Monday, February 15, 2010

So we had friends over last night. Just a normal, "hey, wanna come over and play cards or something?". The have kids our older boys' ages. I know that it's wrong but I still expect that people will have their kids treat my kids the way mine treat them. I flew off the handle. I probably shouldn't have. I should probably apologize. I am still not ready to. The kids were playing nerf wars. In the dark. The only light on was the one in the dining room where the grown-ups were. My 5 year old is not thrilled with the dark. He wanted to play, but he wanted a flashlight. Not really that much to ask, I think. I gave him one. One of the other kids got totally pissy with him. Told him he couldn't play. Told him he could only play if he got rid of the flashlight. When he said no, that he was afraid of the dark, and all the big kids jumping out at him, the older kid told him, "well, you suck" and "I'm not playing if HE's playing". Which one is the 5 year old again? all the big kids wanted him to sit in the corner playing DS. I said no. He needs to be able to socialize and play like everyone else right? So i got angry. Said that it was his house too and that he could play. I covered his flashlight in tissue so that it wasn't bright but he wasnt' completely in the dark. Not good enough. He's playing, so I am not. Then I got mad at his parents. Why wouldn't they do anything? Why did they say 'just let him do what he wants?"

I should apologize. I should be sorry for getting angry. I shouldn't judge anyone else's parenting skills. I know that my boys aren't perfect. Obviously, sent one of mine got sent to his room last night, no matter who was over. In my house we don't allow attitude. You check your attitude at the front door. No one is "cool" in our house. There are just 3 boys, 3 brothers, all even. Is it too much to expect from others? Guess so. Guess I'll have to get over myself and apologize. But it probably won't happen for a day or two, when I get over my own "cool".

Phew! This grown-up thing is hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment