Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day


Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

When you come from a family of divorced and re-married parents you have to look at life a little differently. As a grown-up, I can finally see it. How many people have 4 different families with so many different women to show you what being a mom is like? I grew up with 2 moms, 5 grandmothers, 2 aunts and so many family friends that had an influence.

I feel as though I took from them what I loved. I was lucky enough to be able to stay home their first 13 years. I am independent and strong enough to not do everything for them. Teach them that we are a family and no one is any more important than anyone else and you are responsible for your own crap stuff. I am able to give them the love and care that have helped them grow to be great men.

I do not make my husbands lunch every morning. It is not that I don't love him, it's just never been something that I feel I needed to do. Now that the older boys are middle and high they have to make their own lunch. I am trying to teach them skills that they can grow with.

I love my roses as they remind me of my grandma. I am cautious of anything that has too much of an odor as my other grandma was allergic. I think of another grandma when I look at my wedding ring: she told me never to take it off because it makes it too easy to take it off permanently. (I have only taken it off when pregnant and when I had my shoulder surgery. In both instances they would have had to cut it off, but I wore it on a necklace.)

I learned that some birthdays are more important than others, but all are important and should be treated as your own special day. My mom always made homemade cakes for us (we didn't always know what they were supposed to be but....) so we knew she took a bit of extra time just for us.

No matter what influence they have had on me cooking is still not my thing. I can. I do. I just don't enjoy it. We eat pretty simply.

On this mother's day I have to remind myself that there are so many more "mothers" in our world than just our own. I have learned from mine, also from my grandmothers, aunts, cousins, and friends that have been beautiful examples of motherhood. I am grateful for all of them and all that they have taught me.

No comments:

No comments:

Post a Comment